½ cup peas and pod shells, with strings removed
1 onion finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp barley + 2 tbsp barley boiled
1 Bay leaf
3-4 sprigs thyme
7-8 mint leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan, sauté onions and garlic for a min.
- Next, add the peas and shells, bay leaf, thyme and barley and add in 3 cups water.
- Boil with a covered lid for 40-45 min or until the shells are tender.
- Set aside to cool.
- Put the mixture in the blender, add the mint leaves and pulse few times, just until the whole mixture becomes mushy.
- Strain this well, pressing all the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Now return the pot to the gas and stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with 1 tbsp of boiled barley in each bowl.